Friday, February 5, 2010

MY VERY OWN MIRACLE !!!

Yesterday afternoon, I was reading a book on the couch and felt a littled chilled, so I decided to make a fire in the fireplace! I wadded up some newspaper and put it under a long of wood in the fireplace. After several attempts trying to light the long, I gave up and went out to the garage for some petroleo to pour on the log. I didn't find any but found a container of gas, mixed with oil that we use for the weed eater. I filled a little cup up and went back to the fireplace. There was no visable fire in there so I started to pour the gas over the log when instantly a flames exploded in the fireplace. When this happened, of course, I jumped back, throwing the gas on the top of the coffee table and over the carpet! There were flames everywhere, it seemed! I tore off my sweater and started beating the flames with it. Thankfully, I had slippers on also began to stomped on the flames to put them out! It was a very scary few seconds as I feared I there would be some serious damage to the room! As soon as the flames were out, I began to feel intense pain on the palm of my right hand! I grabbed some brake fluid and poured it all over my hand but it hurt so bad that I ran to the sink to put my hand under cold water! Then I remembered the HONEY! So, I doused my hand in honey, but again couldn't take it and put my hand back under the water! I hurried and took 4 Extra Strength Excedrin cause the pain was unbearable! (I thought of poor Abinadi being burned at the stake! ) I sat with my hand in a container of ice water for a couple of hours and then decided to call Frank. He didn't answer so I called my dad and mom. Dad went up to buy me some burn salve and mom came right down to check on me!
The plastic cup that the gas was in got melted in my hand!
The book I was reading was sitting on the coffee table and it went up in flames !!!
A pen that was on the coffee table started to melt!
One of the burnt spots where the carpet melted.
The bottom of my slippers where they began to melt while I was stomping on the flames!
Frank arrived shortly after mom and dad got there! They kept encouraging me to take my hand out of the water and put the burn salve on in and wrap it in a clean white cloth, but as soon as I would get it out of the water I couldn't take the pain for more than about a minute and would have to put my hand back in the ice water! Frank could see what excruciating pain I was in and insisted on taking me to the doctor. But before we went he and dad gave me a Priesthood blessing. Then off we went with my hand still in the ice water. When Dr. Alonso saw my hand he said the burns on my palm were 2nd degree burns and immediately sent Frank to the pharmacy for several different medications... costing a total of about 150 dollars! I then got a shot in my rear end of an "anti-inflamtorio" and a double dose of pain killer right in the vein! Dr. Alonso kept spraying my hand with something that was supposed to numb it but it didn't do much and I begged him to let me put my hand back in the ice water! He consented. Then as he examined my hand, he told me that today I should take a needle and poke holes in the smaller blisters to let them drain. He then told me to come back on Monday and he would cut open the larger blisters to let them drain! We paid our bill and took our bag of medication, which included pain killer pills, an antibiotic and a 50 dollar tube of salve to help the skin heal!
I had asked Dr. Alsonso to give me something to help me sleep because I have trouble sleeping when I am not in pain. He told me that the pain killer he had given me in the vein would put me to sleep! NOT! I was in so much pain even after that shot in the vein that I did not take my hand out of the ice water for 12 hours... and I don't think I slept more than an hour all night long! About 3 a.m. the pain began to let up and I started a relax! Eventually the pain went completely away and I got up to go into the bathroom to look at my hand! When I turned the light on and looked at my hand I burst into tears!!
There was nothing but one small blister on my hand! It doesn't even show up in the picture!! I stood in the bathroom sobbing as I realized that a miracle had been granted me in response to the Priesthood blessing that Frank and my dad had given me! My Heavenly Father granted me a HUGE tender mercy and taught me an important lesson in the process. You see, on Tuesday, after the temple I stopped by to visit Dana & Trisha before I came home. During our visit our conversation turned to the topic of trials and adversity and we talked about how our testimonies are strengthened through our difficulties! At some point in the conversation, I commented that it is REALLY RARE in our day to wittness miracles like the ones we often read about in the scriptures... like Jesus healing the blind and deft, etc. I wondered aloud why that is??? Dana commented that miracles work only according to our faith and we went on to discuss how we can have greater faith. This morning I want you to know that I KNOW that the Priesthood is the POWER OF GOD given to worthy men to do the Lord's work in His behalf! I am so thankful to have wittnessed this miracle in my behalf! And I am so grateful for the two worthy Priesthood holders who gave me a blessing! I am very humbled and THANKFUL to have had that horrible pain taken away and my skin healed! Thank you, Heavenly Father! I will never again doubt that miracles still happen in our lives today!

11 comments:

  1. Wow! That is SOOOO scary mOm! What an incredible experience though! That is amazing! So glad that everything turned out well in the end and so thankful for the power of the Priesthood! I can't think of two more amazing men to recieve a blessing from (Dad and Grandpa)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad there was a happy ending to this scenario. I worried about you all the way home. I wondered what you would write about that night in your journal or would you even be able to write. Now we know the outcome of that. I saw what your hand looked like immediately after it happened, I could not believe how "normal" your hand looked today. It was already covered with blisters when I saw it. Pretty amazing. Thanks for sharing a faith promoting experience with us. Glad we had had that conversation a few days earalier. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Aunt Cathy! I totally believe you. I do believe miracles exist on a daily basis, some more obvious than others. Don't play with petroleo next time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Dan. I am amazed by you experience Aunt Cathy. Honestly I needed to hear that. I think we all sometimes doubt that major miracles can happen today. But I guess it's experiences like this that remind me that even though Christ has ascended into heaven all those years ago He hasn't lost any of His power.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow mom! When I first started reading this post I wanted to give you a good lecture on not doing tonterias, but by the end I felt like I had just been given a good lecture on faith. Thanks for sharing that experience with us! Glad you are OK! But really, don't do tonterias like that again!
    Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read your post several days ago but had a little someone on my lap that doesn't allow me to type at the computer. BUT, I've been meaning to call you. What an AMAZING experience. I am seriously astounded. When I talked to you just a few hours after it happened, I really didn't think you'd have much relief from the pain until the blisters were cut off and the pain relief was able to be put directly on the burns...at least that was my experience. I know that it could've been nothing less than a miracle for the healing process of such a severe burn to take place so quickly. It really is an awesome experience but it honestly doesn't surprise me that it would happen to you. You are always a great example of faith!!! Love you! So glad the Lord saw fit to free you from your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, I keep trying to post a comment and then realized I had to be signed in! I have read this post twice now, it is such a neat experience, thanks for sharing. You should send it in to the Ensign to be published!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow glad you are ok and the house didn't burn down first off! Also, what a great faith promoting experience! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh aunt cathy! what a scary, painful and beautiful experience, all in one! thank you for sharing that with us all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Cathy I had no idea that such events were going on at your house!!! Holy cow....glad you are okay and funny how we learn the lessons that Heavenly Father intends for us. Good for you for "witnessing" this experience for all to know. That is what He would have us do! Kelly was just telling me that, this is exactly how Clary was burned and scarred when he was young.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoever doesn't believe in miracles & guardian angels needs to read this. Thanks for sharing. Helps remind some of the rest of us that God does know us & love us individually, cares for us & is watching over us, whether it be in simple things like answers to questions or amazing life changing things like your healing. So GLAD, you are OK. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete