Sunday, August 22, 2010

SUPERIOR CUT AND SEW INTERNATIONAL


When we think of living in Mexico, those of us who were raised here automaticaly thinK of owning land... farming, ranching or growing chile.  It has often been said that we need to be more creative in our thinking when we consider ways to earn a living here in Mexico.  Russell and Kelly have done just that!  While Ashley was here, I took her up to see the Robinson's business... Superior Cut and Sew International!

Their business is well hidden in what looks like an old abandoned building that used to be a grocery store.   From the outside you would never suspect that a big maquila is inside.  Kelly told me that they keep it that way on purpose... so that the thugs around here that like to blackmail businesses into paying them money to "not be bothered" would not realize that there is a business there!   But once you go in through a very unassuming door...voila!  


 They have quite the production going on inside!  


This is the electric saw (don't know what else to call it...) that cuts the patterns from the material. See all the patterns hanging on the wall?
Layers and layers of material are stacked on top of each other so that many pieces can be cut at once!   Pretty efficient, I would say!   When I sew, I cut one piece out at a time!



The Robinson's have about 100 employees who work to cut out and sew the products!  I'm sure these people love working for Russell and Kelly!  There aren't two more compassionate, caring and fun loving people in Dublan!



All of their clients are in the USA.  One of their major clients is Cabella's. They make many different products for Cabella's like these camaflague hunting jackets.  


The products are shipped from "Superior Cut and Sew International" ready to be stocked in the stores. 


This is the warehouse where the boxes of products wait to shipped to the United States.   While Kelly oversees the production... getting contracts and buying the materials, Russell sees about all the importing and shipping into the USA, which I understand is a major headache!   They make a good team!


It's amazing to me that they could figure out and run this business... from finding clients, shopping for material at a good price, making the patterns, producing the product, keeping a hundred employees working and happy, to all the legal stuff for crossing the border and then shipping the products around the various places in the USA!!  I am not much of a business woman myself and struggle just to learn the FamilySearch website for my missionary work so I can not even imagine taking on a project like this one!   Russell and Kelly are amazing people!   Always so upbeat and positive!   Their business is proof of what a little enginuity, hard work and FAITH can produce! 
I hope they make LOTS OF MONEY!! 

7 comments:

  1. Can I just say that I was equally impressed when we went to visit it just recently when we were there. George had been wanting to go because of all the Cabelas stuff they ave and I was so impressed! Leave it to Russell and Kelly to get the job done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is amazing. I enjoyed seeing the business too and was equally impressed with them, especially Kelly for being able to speak Spanish so well, especially for being an "import" haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! I'm proud of them for "thinking out side the box". I hope they make LOTS of money too. I know how much work it is to own your own business...occasional blood, lots of sweat, no-doubt tears and guaranteed LONG HOURS. I hope it's a SMASHING SUCCESS! They deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was way cool! Now I just need to think of something creative like that so that WE can live in Mexico! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I am Rick's sister Debbie. This was very interesting to see the shop. Say Hi to Rick for me. The phot is Dan's mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am proud to say that I was part of this amazing team. Russell and Kelly not only run this business with passion but also with kindness. They know how to treat people and meet their needs, from an employe to a customer! I would gladly work with/for them if I ever could. Way to go Robinson!!!!

    ReplyDelete